Norovirus In Kerala: Now another virus has started spreading in Kerala emerging from the outbreak of Coronavirus. When the health of the students of a private school in Kakkanad deteriorated, it was revealed on investigation that they had been infected with a virus. According to the District Medical Officer (DMO), Norovirus has been confirmed in the children.
Another virus infection in Kakkanad, Kerala
Children of class 1 to 5 were discharged
The DMO said that the condition of the children who got infected with norovirus is not worrying, however, after the outbreak, the school has declared a holiday for the children of classes 1 to 5. The district administration has initiated preventive and awareness measures in view of the virus outbreak. Online awareness classes are being conducted.
According to officials, classrooms and toilets have been sanitized in the school where the infection spread. At the same time, those showing symptoms have been advised to remain under observation. The authorities have urged the public to be vigilant and ensure that drinking water sources should be clean. With proper treatment and precautions, the disease can be cured within a short period of time, the DMO statement said.
What is norovirus and how does it spread?
According to experts, norovirus is a contagious virus that causes vomiting and diarrhea. Common symptoms include low-grade fever or chills, headache and muscle aches. The virus usually does not affect healthy people, but it can cause serious health problems for young children, the elderly, and people with co-morbidities.
Norovirus can spread through contaminated water and food. Direct contact with infected people can also cause its disease. It can also spread through the faeces and vomit of infected people.
How to protect if infected?
Infected people are advised to rest at home as per the instructions of the doctor. They have to consume plenty of boiled water and Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS). If needed, the doctor’s service will have to be taken. An infected person should go out only after two days of recovery, as the virus can spread during that time.